Historical Summary of Our Congregation!
On August 28th, 1934, W.J. Major and his family arrived in Powassan. Shortly thereafter, Services, Sunday School and prayer meetings were being held in the rented premises of the Anglican parsonage and planning soon began for a new church building.
The following year, the school at Sharpes Corners near Powassan became the meeting place for the congregation during the summer months. The home of Mr. Robert Anderson was used during the winter. In 1937, just 3 years after the arrival of Rev. Major, a new church was built on property donated by Mr. Anderson.
By 1947, the congregation had outgrown this building, so a new church was built at 380 Mill Street, Powassan. A series of pastors and their families served the congregation well at this site until it was sold in September, 1988. Services were held for a short time at the Powassan Junior Public School pending completion of our current worship centre on Big Bend Avenue, Powassan.
All are welcome to come worship and fellowship with us.
Wesleyan's on the Web: